How to make Butter Milk Kadi Recipes
Butter Milk Kadi Recipes
Maharashtrian Kadhi Recipe – Kadhi is the famous Indian dish made from yogurt or butter milk and gram flour / besan. There are so many varieties of this simple dish. People across India cook this dish in different ways. For example there is a gujarati kadhi version, punjabi kadhi, rajasthani kadhi etc. In state of Jharkhand kadhi is also known as Pareh. So the list goes on. Kadhi is served along with fried fritters called pakoras in a dish known as kadhi pakora which is famous in Punjab.
Generally kadhi is prepared using sour curd or yogurt which give its distinct sour taste. The chickpea flour is mixed with yogurt or buttermilk to prepare the base for kadhi. This mixture is then tempered using different Indian spices. However in a variation of kadhi known as Sindhi kadhi (being prepared in traditional Sindhi way) you will see vegetables being added.
Kadhi is considered to be light on stomach and is ease to digest. Hence it is preferred to serve Kadhi in dinner along with khichdi or boiled rice or even jeera rice. Also when kadhi is piping hot some people like to drink it as soup too. Kadhi makes an excellent soup for winter nights.
Butter Milk Kadi Recipes
- Prep time 5 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Total time 15 mins
- Curd / Yogurt: 1 cup
- Besan (Gram flour): 1 1/2
- tbsp Water: 2 cups
- Curry leaves: 5 pieces
- Green chili: 1/4 tsp finely chopped
- Ginger: 1/2 tsp grated
- Garlic:1/2 tsp grated
- Ghee / clarified butter: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds:1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp or to taste
- Take yogurt or curd in a bowl and whisk it gently. Combine gram flour / besan with yogurt and mix well.
- Add water to yogurt and whisk using hand blender until no lumps remains.
- For tempering heat a tsp of clarified butter / ghee in a non stick deep bottom pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds in ghee.
- Once mustard seeds starts crackling add grated ginger, garlic and chopped green chilies.
- Saute for a minute until raw flavor from garlic is gone.
- Add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Pour the kadhi mixutre on tempered spices and mix well.
- Let the kadhi come to boil once.
- Now add turmeric powder (haldi) and salt as per your taste.
- Mix well and let kadhi simmer for 5 to 7 minutes on low flame.
- Maharashtrian kadhi is ready. Serve the kadhi hot with steamed rice, plain khichdi or masala khichdi.
Back to Recipes