Punjabi Bhendi Masala Recipes
- prep time 15 mins
- cook time 25 mins
- total time 40 mins
- Okra - 1/4 kg (bhindi/bendakaya), wash, dry, trim the ends and cut into 1" pieces
- Onions - 1, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chili paste - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
- Amchur powder - 1/4 tsp (dried mango powder)
- Kasuri Methi - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - pinch Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves - for garnish (optional)
how to make the recipe:
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a cooking vessel, add the okra/bhindi and saute on low to medium flame for 8 mts. Remove from the vessel and keep aside.
- In the same vessel, add the remaining oil. Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add chopped onions and green chili paste and saute for 4 mts.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchur powder and kasuri methi and mix.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for 6-7 mts on low to medium flame with lid.
- Add the okra and mix well. Cook without lid for 10 mts. Add salt to taste and garam masala powder and mix. Turn off heat.
- Remove onto a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with rice or rotis.
Back to Recipes