Vegetable Kolhapuri Recipes
- prep time 15 mins
- cook time 25 mins
- total time 40 mins
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds/safed til
- ½ tsp poppy seeds/khus khus
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut/nariyal ka boora
- 4 to 5 black pepper/kali mirch
- 1 tsp coriander seeds/dhania
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon/dalchini
- 2 cloves/lavang
- 2 single strands of mace/javitri
- 4 to 5 fenugreek seeds/methi dana
- a pinch of grated nutmeg/jaiphal
- 1 small stone flower/patthar phool/dadad phool (optional)
- 1 nagkesar/cobra's saffron (optional)
- 1 green cardamom/hari elaichi
- seeds of 1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
- 3 byadagi/bedgi red chilies or kashmiri red chilies
- 1 medium indian bay leaf/tej patta
how to make the recipe:
- first rinse, peel and cut the veggies in thick strips or batons. place them in a steamer pan.
- then steam the vegetables in an electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.
- the veggies have to be completely cooked and yet retain their shape.
- when the veggies are steaming, gather all the ingredients required for making kolhapuri masala.
- heat a pan and on a low flame dry roast the spices - cinnamon, cloves, black peppers, coriander, cumin, stone flower, pinch of nutmeg powder, tej patta, nagkesar (cobra's saffron), red chilies, green cardamoms and black cardamom seeds. skip stone flower, nagkesar and poppy seeds, if you don't have these.
- once the spices become fragrant, then add poppy seeds, sesame seeds and desiccated coconut.
- stir continuously and dry roast till the desiccated coconut gets golden.
- once the spice mixture cools, then take them in a dry grinder or coffee grinder.
- grind to a fine powder. a slight semi fine powder is also fine. the sesame seeds & coconut will release oil while grinding. so you have to scrape the sides of the masala and grind. if difficult to grind, then add some water and make a fine paste.
Back to Recipes